All Collections
Solo 401k Maintenance
IRS form 5500-EZ
Where and when do I file form 5500-EZ for the Solo 401k?
Where and when do I file form 5500-EZ for the Solo 401k?
Updated over a week ago

Get expert help to make sure the IRS filings are done right the first time and to make sure the books for your business and Solo 401k are correct and up to date at all times. If you’d like a recommendation to one of the great CPAs and/or tax preparers in our network to help with your 5500-EZ, contact us at [email protected].

The 5500-ez can be mailed in to the below address:

Department of the Treasury
 Ogden, UT 84201-0020

Note: Please check before mailing in your 5500-EZ to confirm the correct address. 

Alternatively, you can file electronically at

Form 5500-EZ is required for the Solo 401k (one-participant plan). Sending a different form to the IRS can be confusing to their staff and could cause tax problems for you and your Solo 401k.

Form 5500-EZ should only be filed and submitted once your Solo 401k plan assets have reached $250,000 or more. If you only have $50,000 in cash in the Solo 401k, but you also have a piece of property worth $200,000 owned by the Solo 401k – your plan assets are $250,000 (or greater) and the 5500-EZ must be filed.

Form 5500-EZ is due for the previous tax year. For example – if you set up your plan (or reached the $250,000 threshold) in February of 2018, you need to file form 5500-EZ in 2019.

Form 5500-EZ must be filed by July 31st of each year for the previous plan year. You can request an extension from the IRS by filing form 5558. You do not need to provide a detailed ledger to the IRS for the account activity of the Solo 401k.

For further information, please refer to

You must file a 5500-EZ if you are terminating your plan

If you're rolling the assets over to another 401k provider you shouldn't need to file a 5500-EZ if you are keeping the same trust and tax ID number. However, it is recommended you check with your new document provider. 

If you're closing the 401k completely and distributing the assets, or rolling everything into a self-directed IRA or other qualified retirement vehicle, then you must file and submit form 5500-EZ.

Did this answer your question?