All Collections
Solo 401k Maintenance
Can I take a distribution? Will I owe taxes?
Can I take a distribution? Will I owe taxes?
Updated over a week ago

Once you are ready to take possession of assets that are held within your retirement account, you will need to distribute the assets to yourself. Distributions from a non-Roth retirement account will result in taxation. Before age 59.5, this distribution will be considered an early distribution. These early distributions typically carry a 10% early distribution penalty in addition to the normal taxes that are due on the distribution. See the following IRS guide for more information on early distributions:

After age 59.5, you will pay taxes on the value of the distribution, but no additional 10% penalty. For instance, if you distribute a house valued at $100,000 to yourself, you would pay taxes on $100,000 as if it were income. If you instead wanted to liquidate the home and sell it for $100,000 before making the distribution you could do so. You would then only pay taxes on the amount that you distribute to yourself. If you only distribute $20,000 of money from the sale of the house, you would only pay taxes on the $20,000 distribution, not the $100,000.

For more information on distributions from your plan including hardship distributions, consult the Summary Plan Description of your 401k documents. The section on Distributions begins on or around page 12 of the Summary Plan Description. You and your CPA or qualified tax preparer may determine that you are eligible for a hardship distribution before the normal retirement age of 59.5.

More information on how to make a distribution from your Solo 401(k):

A taxable distribution from your Unlimited 401k will need to be reported via a 1099R.
Since your Unlimited 401k is a plan that you control and there is not a third party hindering your investment options, creating transactional delays, and charging additional fees, no other institution is responsible for issuing a 1099 for your distribution. You will need to make sure the 1099R gets generated.
Your CPA (or other individual who handles your tax preparation) should prepare a 1099R from your 401(k) plan issued to the participant who took the distribution from the plan (you).
See the following IRS link for more information about the 1099 and other information returns:

Beginning on page 16 of the pdf document linked above is a chart showing the type of form to file, what amounts to report, and the due date for such reports.

Did this answer your question?