Each brokerage house is different in how they classify their investment-only accounts and applications can update at any time. 

At this time, Merrill Lynch is only offering the RCMA® (Retirement Cash Management Account®)  to supplement your Solo 401k. 

When opening the RCMA® with Merrill Lynch, they will obtain a new tax ID number or you will use the Merrill Lynch tax ID number for your investments. This account essentially nullifies the checkbook control self-directed nature of the Solo 401k and takes away the ability to direct your own funds. Additionally, adding on this account may complicate your wealth planning as you have another tax exempt entity to keep track of.  Funds must be rolled in and out of the account each time you want to access them.

At this time, we do not recommend opening this account type. 

If you wish to proceed with this account and accept the responsibility of keeping track of multiple accounts, including rolling funds in and out of the Solo 401k into this vehicle, please contact Merrill Lynch at (800) 637-7455 for assistance.

If you're looking for alternatives to open a brokerage account for your Solo 401k trust, please review the articles below:

Did this answer your question?