All Collections
Solo 401k Maintenance
Document Maintenance
How to notify the IRS of a new address
How to notify the IRS of a new address
Rachel Nabers avatar
Written by Rachel Nabers
Updated over a week ago

Trust Change of Address Basics

You do not need a new trust EIN if you move, but you do need to update your address with the IRS. According to the IRS, the same holds true when the responsible party moves or changes addresses. When you keep information up to date with the IRS, you minimize the risk of missing important communication from them in regards to your business as well as benefits.

First you will want to gather all information needed:

  • Your full name

  • Your new mailing address

  • Your former mailing address

  • Your social security number (SSN), individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), or employer identification number (EIN)

  • They may ask for additional information to verify your identity.

Methods of updating your address:

Written Notification:

To notify the IRS in writing, submit a signed written statement with your:

-Full name

-Old address

-New address

-Social Security number, ITIN, or EIN

Joint Filers - If you filed a joint return, you should provide the information and signatures for both spouses. Send your written address change information to the IRS addresses listed in the instructions to the tax forms you filed.

Separated - If you filed a joint return and you now have separate residences, each joint taxpayer should notify the IRS of your new, separate addresses.

Mail your signed statement from your new address to the address where you filed your last return.

Phone Notification:

Changing your address with the IRS can be done by phone, however can have long wait times during tax season. The IRS change of address phone number is 1-800-829-1040. They are open from Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

IRS Form Notification:

The easiest way to update this information with the IRS, you can also use Form 8822 to update your home address and/ or Form 8822-B to update your business address. This form includes spaces to record your EIN, former address, current address and more. You can also use this form to change the responsible party for your business. When you are viewing the form the IRS provides additional updated instructions for their "current" best practice instructions.


“Address Changes.”, Internal revenue Service, December 2019,

Did this answer your question?